check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel SmartBar Canegrowers rearview170 Cobb Grill Skid Row Recovery Gear Caravan Industry Association of Australia
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Blue tick mobile purchase.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5457
Date:
Blue tick mobile purchase.


Hi All.

I am in need of a new phone and would like a "Blue Tick" unlocked Android system phone, for country travel.

Not one bit interested in Apple product.

Bonus if I could find one that has a RF port for a external Ariel. 

Have had good successes with Samsung, last mobile phone was a Motorola which served me well but it had some short comings, no compass for one.

Looking forward to audience's thoughts.



__________________


Guru

Status: Online
Posts: 1884
Date:

Hi Radar the problem these days is not many phones are submitted to Telstra for blue tick rating/testing.

The number 1 thing you should look for is it must have Band 28 the 700Mhz frequency, band 28 will transmit about 20 kms further than band 5 the 850Mhz Band.

The other thing to consider choosing a phone that is 5g also, there are more and more regional areas getting 5G rolled out, only downside is about up to 1km then 5G slows to similar speds to 4G. Some of the 4G bands are now being redesignated 5G.

As for an external antenna plug I think they are becoming very rare, a passive patch pad attached to an external antenna, have a look at telcoantennas.com.au, generally the patch pad your phone sits on it and it is passively connects to the antenna.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5420
Date:

Radar wrote:

Hi All.

I am in need of a new phone and would like a "Blue Tick" unlocked Android system phone, for country travel.

Not one bit interested in Apple product.

Bonus if I could find one that has a RF port for a external Ariel. 

Have had good successes with Samsung, last mobile phone was a Motorola which served me well but it had some short comings, no compass for one.

Looking forward to audience's thoughts.


 Hi Ralph. This is an excellent phone which has worked all over Australia, with the help of my CelFi Go set up

. Although some/many phones claim Blue Tick I am reliably informed by an independent phone supplier that nowadays "Blue Tick" means little to nothing. Good luck. Cheers

 

11874876-5B33-4BBD-ABE8-EDFC5E6D0064.png



Attachments
__________________

v



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2814
Date:

yobarr wrote:


 Hi Ralph. This is an excellent phone which has worked all over Australia, with the help of my CelFi Go set up

. Although some/many phones claim Blue Tick I am reliably informed by an independent phone supplier that nowadays "Blue Tick" means little to nothing. Good luck. Cheers

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yobarr, The blue tick given to phones is only after testing by Telstra and certified by them, the phone manufacturer can't claim a 'Blue Tick'.

The phone you put up is a Telstra phone.

As a side issue, the ACCC blocked the teaming up of TPG and Telstra because Optus complained.

Telstra has the towers in the bush, TPG has all the Spectrum which would have meant full coverage in the bush/outback if it had been approved.

What phones have the blue tick?
 
 
As of 2022, the most recent line up of Telstra Blue Tick phones include:
  • Samsung Galaxy A51.
  • Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G.
  • Samsung Galaxy Note20 5G.
  • Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G.
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 5G.
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G.
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G.
  • Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G.


__________________

Make it Snappy......Bob

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5420
Date:

Bobdown wrote:
yobarr wrote:


 Hi Ralph. This is an excellent phone which has worked all over Australia, with the help of my CelFi Go set up

. Although some/many phones claim Blue Tick I am reliably informed by an independent phone supplier that nowadays "Blue Tick" means little to nothing. Good luck. Cheers

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yobarr, The blue tick given to phones is only after testing by Telstra and certified by them, the phone manufacturer can't claim a 'Blue Tick'.

The phone you put up is a Telstra phone.

As a side issue, the ACCC blocked the teaming up of TPG and Telstra because Optus complained.

Telstra has the towers in the bush, TPG has all the Spectrum which would have meant full coverage in the bush/outback if it had been approved.

What phones have the blue tick?
 
 
As of 2022, the most recent line up of Telstra Blue Tick phones include:
  • Samsung Galaxy A51.
  • Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G.
  • Samsung Galaxy Note20 5G.
  • Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G.
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 5G.
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G.
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G.
  • Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G.

Thanks  Bob.  Next time I see the Telstra man that I spoke with I will let him know he has given me wrong information! Cheers



__________________

v



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5457
Date:

Hi All.

After some time chasing, talking, it is not easy buying a mobile phone when your main priority was a mobile phone to make phone calls.

I have settle on a Rugged Phone S61 Pro. 6gb ram, 128gb storage, Android 12, 6 inch screen with a blue tick and unlocked.

A couple of phones recommended, I found were unavailable at the moment and sellers wanted to much information before selling.

My preference was a Samsung product, their cheaper blue tick one was unavailable. The prices for there so called better models were over the top for me as I make very limited calls and did not need all the extra young ones need.

My new S61 is better then my existing phone in specs and slightly small, the battery makes it a bit heavier but I do need the exercise to carrying it. 

I am looking forward to using the S61 in the field when we leave for Atherton Tablelands early July and returning via Aramac, Dunns Lake in August.

Thank you Everyone for your time and thoughts. Radar

 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5457
Date:

Update on my Doogee S61 from the Rugged Mobile phones in Melbourne.

Ordered on-line Monday at 3.30p.

Delivered at 4pm Thursday to Brisbane.

Battery charged ready to go, excellent.

Spent about hour transferring my phone numbers and data across, so easy.

Now have a Compass and GPS including a couple of others J could not do with my previous phone.

Seems to be enjoying more reception strength and that is what I was hoping for.

Very user friendly.

I think I am in love with this phone.

 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 233
Date:

I read yesterday that HUAWEI has just released a new 5G phone which doesn't include USA patent components.
Waiting list is very long and growing.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4005
Date:

I wouldn't trust any Chinese telecommunications company, nor would I purchase an Apple product.

__________________

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."

Lucius Cornelius Sulla - died 78 BC 

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1077
Date:

dorian wrote:

I wouldn't trust any Chinese telecommunications company, nor would I purchase an Apple product.


 Ditto



__________________


Guru

Status: Online
Posts: 1884
Date:

Just my two bob's worth re blue tick, generally a blue tick phone is tested suitable for rural area's, band 28 is the 700mHz frequencies which give greater range.

Update some urban areas are having some 3g and 4g bands including band 28 being rolled out as 5g.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4005
Date:

I couldn't find an official document that laid out Telstra's methodology for Blue Tick testing, but here is their lab as it was in 2012:

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/home-and-office/networking/telstras-mobile-testing-lab-in-the-spotlight/

Warwick Taylor, radio technologist with Telstra, is referred to internally as the "Hand of Telstra" as he is responsible for holding the device during the testing process. Goonan said it wasn't possible to replicate the effect a person has on their mobile antenna using anything other than an actual human hand.

"In this world, we haven't yet to be able to find a fake hand. We haven't been able to simulate using a human hand better than using a human hand. I'm not sure what we're going to do when Warwick decides to retire."

 

I wonder how loosely Warwick holds his phone.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/blue-tick

Try these tips to get the most out of your Telstra Blue Tick phone.

  1. Hold your phone as loosely as possible.
    Try not to grip your phone too tightly when you're on the edge of coverage. Your hand essentially absorbs and almost blocks part of your phone's signal. Engineers call this a detuning effect.

It seems to me that the difference between getting or not getting a blue tick might depend on how Warwick is feeling on that particular day.

Does Telstra suspend Blue Tick testing for 4 weeks when "The Hand" goes on holiday?



-- Edited by dorian on Monday 11th of September 2023 02:44:39 PM

__________________

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."

Lucius Cornelius Sulla - died 78 BC 

 

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook