check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel SmartBar Canegrowers rearview170 Cobb Grill Skid Row Recovery Gear Caravan Industry Association of Australia
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Yet Another Battery that could burn the house down


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4476
Date:
Yet Another Battery that could burn the house down


In & Outboard Marine - Lithium Battery Systems (LBS) lithium iron phosphate batteries

 

I note that there are an ever increasing number of vehicle defects that " could cause death or injury " as well. 



__________________

Cheers Craig



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 914
Date:

There are probably scores of resellers with batteries from the same manufacturer in China. Would the ACCC check if other resellers had the same batteries?


"Consumers should return the battery to the place of purchase to arrange for the battery to be refunded".

This would work in Darwin but I pity any interstate traveller that has them as who will deliver them?



__________________

Kebbin



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 483
Date:

Craig1 wrote:

In & Outboard Marine - Lithium Battery Systems (LBS) lithium iron phosphate batteries

 

I note that there are an ever increasing number of vehicle defects that " could cause death or injury " as well. 


 There has not been one case of a LiFePO4 catching fire.  I have read of cases where the cells vent by people overcharging when bypassing the BMS but this was from DIY batteries.   Otherwise, you have the charger that should cut out when fully charged and a BMS.

 

It would be interesting to find out the finer details of what has been happening and why.

Tim



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 200
Date:

Not a thing mentioned on their website, so can we assume they are not interested. Typical

www.iomarine.com.au/


__________________
shakey55


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 914
Date:

TimTim wrote:
Craig1 wrote:

In & Outboard Marine - Lithium Battery Systems (LBS) lithium iron phosphate batteries

 

I note that there are an ever increasing number of vehicle defects that " could cause death or injury " as well. 


 There has not been one case of a LiFePO4 catching fire.  I have read of cases where the cells vent by people overcharging when bypassing the BMS but this was from DIY batteries.   Otherwise, you have the charger that should cut out when fully charged and a BMS.

 

It would be interesting to find out the finer details of what has been happening and why.

Tim


 TimTim, The only thing that I can assume is that you don't believe the ACCC's investigation? 

What are the defects?

There are defects in the battery management system, and insufficient sealing of the battery casing that can cause corrosion. These defects can cause the batteries to leak, overheat or catch fire. 

 

 

Shakey my conclusion is they have stopped all sales and are recalling all batteries sold, linking the ACCC's investigation. They can't do much more can they?



__________________

Kebbin



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 483
Date:

Kebbin wrote:
TimTim wrote:

 There has not been one case of a LiFePO4 catching fire.  I have read of cases where the cells vent by people overcharging when bypassing the BMS but this was from DIY batteries.   Otherwise, you have the charger that should cut out when fully charged and a BMS.

It would be interesting to find out the finer details of what has been happening and why.

Tim


 TimTim, The only thing that I can assume is that you don't believe the ACCC's investigation? 

Assume what you like but I dont have enough detailed information to form an opinion.  See if you can find one documented case world wide of a LiFePO4 battery catching fire.    

 

 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4006
Date:

shakey55 wrote:

Not a thing mentioned on their website, so can we assume they are not interested. Typical

www.iomarine.com.au/


 There is now a headline and a link to the recall at the very top of their home page.



__________________

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."

Lucius Cornelius Sulla - died 78 BC 

 

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook