check out our comfortable cushions check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel Learn more about Sat Phone Sales Learn more about Boosters for Mobiles GemLife over-50s lifestyle resort SmartBar
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: WHAT WINCH TO BUY.


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 30
Date:
WHAT WINCH TO BUY.


Hi, im looking at a cheap winch to put on the BT50, any recomendations please.  should i look at the OCAM/RANGER or stay with better known brands.   THANKS 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 586
Date:

Winches are a minefield. I suggest you take a look a 4x4Earth. They have a few long threads on the topic. The podcast on winch choice is worth a listen. FWIW, i decided to pass on mounting a winch and carry a handwinch. I make my decisions on adventures accordingly.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1726
Date:

Think very long and hard before you do.

I am not a fan of electric winches; they are used once every four? years and then won't work because they haven't been properly maintained and/or the electrical connections have corroded and/or the battery is not up to supporting them.

Additionally because of the front mounting they can, usually, only winch you further into the mud.

Avoid cheap electric winches like the corona virus - buy a quality one or none.

if you intend to use it when towing a caravan... forget it.

I always carried a hand winch during many years of serious 4WDing in the Victorian High Country. They are hard work but can winch in and from any direction and a snatch block and some plasma rope extensions make them very versatile.

Now that I am a full time nomad and no longer do the serious 4WDing and am normally towing a caravan I no longer carry the hand winch (weight), I considered that the caravan is by far the main determinant in where I can drive and the chances of me becoming stuck in such places are low. So far, so good.... :)

Edit:

I do still carry all my shackles, snatch block, straps and plasma rope in the hope that I if I do become stuck I can persuade some kind person with a 4WD to tow me out.



-- Edited by Mike Harding on Tuesday 22nd of September 2020 06:45:41 AM

__________________

 

Je suis Charlie --- Je suis Samuel



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 30
Date:

thanks, have looked at most , some costly and some not. im pretty handy so ill go for a cheap one and service it often myself and hope for the best.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1726
Date:

I hope you have an excess of hope.



__________________

 

Je suis Charlie --- Je suis Samuel



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 30
Date:

thanks dabbler, i looked on 4x4 earth and was amazed to find out the most expensive was not the best.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 586
Date:

The warranty stories were scary too. Amazing that so few manufacturers cover water ingress, even on a winch that might be straight from the factory.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 30
Date:

the fact that one reasonably cheap brand did cover water ingress i my mind was a winner for me , in fact thats the one i decided to purchase.



-- Edited by cobberdog on Tuesday 29th of September 2020 09:32:38 AM

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 586
Date:

Runva ? Now the second challenge awaits. Which model to choose.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3286
Date:

Mike Harding wrote:

I always carried a hand winch during many years of serious 4WDing in the Victorian High Country. They are hard work but can winch in and from any direction and a snatch block and some plasma rope extensions make them very versatile.

 


 An electric winch can also be rigged to winch in and from any direction.

Remote winch operation.jpg

Cheers,

Peter



Attachments
__________________

OKA196, 4x4 'C' Class, DIY, self contained motorhome. 880W of solar, 400Ah of AGMs, 280L water, 280L fuel. http://tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
 

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1095
Date:

Mike Harding wrote:

Think very long and hard before you do.

I am not a fan of electric winches; they are used once every four? years and then won't work because they haven't been properly maintained and/or the electrical connections have corroded and/or the battery is not up to supporting them.

Additionally because of the front mounting they can, usually, only winch you further into the mud.

Avoid cheap electric winches like the corona virus - buy a quality one or none.

if you intend to use it when towing a caravan... forget it.

I always carried a hand winch during many years of serious 4WDing in the Victorian High Country. They are hard work but can winch in and from any direction and a snatch block and some plasma rope extensions make them very versatile.

Now that I am a full time nomad and no longer do the serious 4WDing and am normally towing a caravan I no longer carry the hand winch (weight), I considered that the caravan is by far the main determinant in where I can drive and the chances of me becoming stuck in such places are low. So far, so good.... :)

Edit:

I do still carry all my shackles, snatch block, straps and plasma rope in the hope that I if I do become stuck I can persuade some kind person with a 4WD to tow me out.



-- Edited by Mike Harding on Tuesday 22nd of September 2020 06:45:41 AM



i have fitted winches to all my vehicles , an to date i have never had to use one to recover myself but have used them to assist others that are in a bit pickle

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 586
Date:

Someone has stolen your fourby Peter.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3286
Date:

dabbler wrote:

Someone has stolen your fourby Peter.


What is a "fourby"?

I thought it referred to a "four wheel drive vehicle"?

It is. biggrin

Cheers,

Peter



__________________

OKA196, 4x4 'C' Class, DIY, self contained motorhome. 880W of solar, 400Ah of AGMs, 280L water, 280L fuel. http://tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
 

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1726
Date:

Peter_n_Margaret wrote:
 An electric winch can also be rigged to winch in and from any direction.

Indeed they can but the cradles required to so do usually cost almost as much as the winch and the very long cables required are a major issue and on top of that whilst they look great in demonstrations, such as your photograph, the reality is that when one is up to one's knees in mud and it's raining it's quite different.

And, of course, 99.9% of owners fit them to the front bullbar so their only option is to winch further into the mud.

12V electrical winches are a great idea on internet forums but not so good in the field.



__________________

 

Je suis Charlie --- Je suis Samuel



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 586
Date:

Plenty of people successfully use bull bar mounted winches. They aren't only used to free vehicles stuck in bogholes. They can also assist with traversing awkward terrain. Unless you're winching between a vehicle and a ground point, your almost certainly winching upwards not downwards. My own decision was based on costs and likely need but I've owned a few vehicles with mounted winches and used them on company vehicles to retrieve vehicles and trailers from bogs and to assist the climb up dry rocky creek banks. Just like to any bit of kit, learn how to use in the circumstances you encounter, carry an assortment of straps and recovery aids, maintain your winch and all is well.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 30
Date:

ive got an old TIRFER hand that goes everywhere i go and it has gotten us out of trouble many times in the victorian high country, i got it when they first come on the market here in melbourne. ive gone places many others wouldnt/couldnt go without some type of winch and another vehicle over the last
45 years but my body is a little fragile these days. i do sometimes tow a small off-road van now and would feel a little more secure with a 12 volt winch when on the high country tracks or free camping in the KIMBERLY. CHEERS.ps-- I do carry snatch and extension straps etc.



-- Edited by cobberdog on Wednesday 30th of September 2020 08:12:41 PM

__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook