discover a comprehensive directory of free and low cost camps check out our comfortable cushions check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel Lithium Batteries Learn more about Sat Phone Sales Learn more about Melbourne City Caravans Pet Accessories 6x6 Australia Secura Lifestyle
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Painted rocks.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2430
Date:
Painted rocks.


Seems Australia is getting into the painted rock craze, like most things it originated in the US, no mention of this fact in the article, seems they want you to believe it originated in the NT.

The Kindness Rocks Project was first started in 2015a few months after Megan Murphy of Barnstable met the queen of talk. Oprah told her to find a way to help others. So, Murphy began painting rocks, and leaving them along the shore on Sandy Neck Beach.

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/darwin/programs/afternoons/nt-rocks/8961436 

Regardless, it's an interest that provides enjoyment for a lot of people.

Here's a link to one of the US sites.smile

http://thekindnessrocksproject.com/how-it-all-began



__________________

Cheers,

Santa.

Moonta, Copper Coast, South Aust.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2430
Date:

Hmmm, thought people who we're looking for an interesting and inexpensive activity whilst on the road would jump at this idea!confuse

Will post another shot of some of the painted rocks.smile



__________________

Cheers,

Santa.

Moonta, Copper Coast, South Aust.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 241
Date:

Good post Santa.  Unfortunately not everyone is as artistic as needed to do the work in your samples.  I'd be hopeless.
But here's a painted rock I purchased as a souvenir of Skye (Scotland).  Simple or fancy depending on the size of the rock.  With a family name above the door it could turn into a money spinner.



-- Edited by KevinC on Saturday 23rd of September 2017 11:08:32 AM

Attachments
__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 7329
Date:

I remember the Painted Rocks being popular in Perth in the early '80's.  Didn't realise they were still around.



__________________
An it harm none, do what you will.


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2430
Date:

Sheba wrote:

I remember the Painted Rocks being popular in Perth in the early '80's.  Didn't realise they were still around.


 Morning Sheba, different concept to the painted rock thing in the 80's, needless to say the internet is involved, have a browse through the site.smile



__________________

Cheers,

Santa.

Moonta, Copper Coast, South Aust.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3620
Date:

Thanks santa, i am going rock searching. Sounds like fun. 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2430
Date:

the rocket wrote:

Thanks santa, i am going rock searching. Sounds like fun. 


 Morning Rocket, probably needs a little publicity here in Oz to get things started, it will probably happen eventually.smile



__________________

Cheers,

Santa.

Moonta, Copper Coast, South Aust.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3620
Date:

Santa wrote:
the rocket wrote:

Thanks santa, i am going rock searching. Sounds like fun. 


 Morning Rocket, probably needs a little publicity here in Oz to get things started, it will probably happen eventually.smile


 Thought i would make it an activity with the grandies.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1768
Date:

This Blue-winged Kookaburra laid a painted rock! shocked.gifshocked.gif

BWK lays a technicolor egg (1024x701).jpg



__________________

Cheers Keith & Judy

Don't take life too seriously, it never ends well.

Trip Reports posted on feathersandphotos.com.au Go to Forums then Trip Reports.

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4855
Date:

We were geocaching in Uralla (NSW) recently, and found some painted rocks instead. Cute



__________________

Pay it forward - what goes around comes around

DUNMOWIN is in Bright, Victoria for the next twelve months (at least til early 2019)



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 282
Date:

Hi Santa, some time ago I saw your Post on rock painting, and what a great idea to get absorbed in and get the creative juices flowing. I went rock collecting and put together a set for my granddaughter, she loves it and its lovely to see her portray the pictures in her mind onto the rocks. She has now placed her painted rocks in fairy scenes in the garden, around a fountain, on the bird bath, at the feet of statues,and even at times on public transport bus stops. The ideas are endless. 

Australia Post has a kit for $24.99 in their shop, its very nice but really anyone can make up their own just like I did.  Thanks for the great idea, my granddaughter is 12 yrs old soon to be 13 and happy to put the Ipad down for her rock art, and believe me that is saying something lol. Take care...regards Kisha

 



__________________
K Lapetite


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2430
Date:

Kisha wrote:

Hi Santa, some time ago I saw your Post on rock painting, and what a great idea to get absorbed in and get the creative juices flowing. I went rock collecting and put together a set for my granddaughter, she loves it and its lovely to see her portray the pictures in her mind onto the rocks. She has now placed her painted rocks in fairy scenes in the garden, around a fountain, on the bird bath, at the feet of statues,and even at times on public transport bus stops. The ideas are endless. 

Australia Post has a kit for $24.99 in their shop, its very nice but really anyone can make up their own just like I did.  Thanks for the great idea, my granddaughter is 12 yrs old soon to be 13 and happy to put the Ipad down for her rock art, and believe me that is saying something lol. Take care...regards Kisha

 


Well done Kisha, great to see kids taking an interest in activities that don't involve electronic screens.

Full marks to you for kindling her interest.



__________________

Cheers,

Santa.

Moonta, Copper Coast, South Aust.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook