check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel SmartBar Salute Caravans Coolzy Portable Air Conditioners
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Hooks in Safety Chains


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 223
Date:
RE: Hooks in Safety Chains


67HR wrote:

This utube video may solve some of the confusion regarding these "mawby hooks"

Hope it helps 

Trev

https://youtu.be/oemjGl4HgRM?si=0Z59XuKX7XXnsxXq


 The only problem is that he substitutes "that is" with "for example" which completely changes the regulation.

Hammerlocks as a substitute for a rated shackle makes sense as the only essential difference is that the shackle is removable whereas the hammerlock is permanent. The hook in my opinion is an accident waiting to happen.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5420
Date:

jegog wrote:
67HR wrote:

This utube video may solve some of the confusion regarding these "mawby hooks"

Hope it helps 

Trev

https://youtu.be/oemjGl4HgRM?si=0Z59XuKX7XXnsxXq


 The only problem is that he substitutes "that is" with "for example" which completely changes the regulation.

Hammerlocks as a substitute for a rated shackle makes sense as the only essential difference is that the shackle is removable whereas the hammerlock is permanent. The hook in my opinion is an accident waiting to happen.

 Yes, when I was setting up my van for full-time travel I fitted these hooks, but after a few months I decided to revert to using shackles.

Because I free camp I don't have to disconnect the van so took the hooks off and welded them to sides of towbar shank under safety chains to stop drawbar hitting road or running under car if ever the van jumps off towbar. Cheers



__________________

v



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5427
Date:

yobarr wrote:
jegog wrote:
67HR wrote:

This utube video may solve some of the confusion regarding these "mawby hooks"

Hope it helps 

Trev

https://youtu.be/oemjGl4HgRM?si=0Z59XuKX7XXnsxXq


 

Because I free camp I don't have to disconnect the van so took the hooks off and welded them to sides of towbar shank under safety chains to stop drawbar hitting road or running under car if ever the van jumps off towbar. Cheers


 Let me understand this.

A Do 3500 what ever is possible to jump of the connection.

And this is coming from a road train Attendant.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5420
Date:

Radar wrote:
yobarr wrote:
jegog wrote:
67HR wrote:

This utube video may solve some of the confusion regarding these "mawby hooks"

Hope it helps 

Trev

https://youtu.be/oemjGl4HgRM?si=0Z59XuKX7XXnsxXq


 

Because I free camp I don't have to disconnect the van so took the hooks off and welded them to sides of towbar shank under safety chains to stop drawbar hitting road or running under car if ever the van jumps off towbar. Cheers


 Let me understand this.

A Do 3500 what ever is possible to jump of the connection.

And this is coming from a road train Attendant.


No need to panic Ralph, as law says two safety chains, but I simply made sure that IF van ever departed the car then drawbar cannot hit road.  
Although I try to check DO35 is locked whenever I set sail, if I have other things on my mind I may neglect to do so, and in the bush I have been told that young locals  have been known to release locking mechanisms, with disastrous results. Simply more insurance. Cheers

P.S Good Roadtrain drivers can NEVER be referred to as "attendants". Specialised job with a loaded 4 trailer vehicle weighing over 160 ton on 82 wheels. Coping with caravanners who appear to be in dreamland is a constant worry, as you probably observed in your days on the road..



-- Edited by yobarr on Monday 4th of September 2023 12:00:05 AM

__________________

v



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1824
Date:

yobarr wrote:

 

P.S Good Roadtrain drivers can NEVER be referred to as "attendants". Specialised job with a loaded 4 trailer vehicle weighing over 160 ton on 82 wheels. Coping with caravanners who appear to be in dreamland is a constant worry, as you probably observed in your days on the road..

Never attendants but there are three classes of Road Train/MC operators "Steerers","Drivers" and "Cowboys. there middle one is dominated by the other two.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5420
Date:

Gundog wrote:
yobarr wrote:

 

P.S Good Roadtrain drivers can NEVER be referred to as "attendants". Specialised job with a loaded 4 trailer vehicle weighing over 160 ton on 82 wheels. Coping with caravanners who appear to be in dreamland is a constant worry, as you probably observed in your days on the road..

Never attendants but there are three classes of Road Train/MC operators. "Steerers","Drivers" and "Cowboys. there middle one is dominated by the other two.

 

 

       Could be right Graham, but presumably you know that there is a massive difference between imported Cowboys running around the Eastern states on bitumen in their little        
B-Doubles, and outback drivers in Roadtrains working on dirt roads, creeks etc. Cheers

 

B22371B8-D661-4372-A622-B42BA7101B35.png



 



-- Edited by yobarr on Monday 4th of September 2023 08:45:14 PM

Attachments
__________________

v



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 223
Date:

Here is a document Issued by the
Administrator of Vehicle Standards
in consultation with the
Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board
comprising Commonwealth, State and Territory representatives

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/sites/default/files/migrated/vehicles/vehicle_regulation/files/0-1-3-1.pdf

My conclusion from reading this is that the shackle is a part of the vehicle and must be either a D shackle, a Bow shackle or a Pin shackle.
That is the only shackle permitted in the safety chain connecting the trailer to the vehicle.
There is also a document specifying how the safety chain must be permanently attached to the trailer.
It can be attached with either a pin lock coupling or by welding.

As has been stated by others only one shackle can be used in the chain between the trailer and then vehicle, and that shackle is the shackle which connects the safety chain to the vehicle.

Personally, I would never trust those hooks in a safety chain as they are loose and jingling and are not taut as they are when lifting. Fifty years ago I worked in shipyards and engineering workshops associated with ship building and I have witnessed those hooks coming loose when they are not under load.

Australian designs rules are not government regulations and so a component can comply with all the ADRs under the sun but it is the State Government Regulations which specify what is legal to use and anything not mentioned in those regulations are not legal to use.

Here Edith the lesson!

 



Attachments
__________________
«First  <  1 2 | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook