check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel SmartBar rearview170 Beam Communications SatPhone Shop Visit Geraldton
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Ampfibian 10 amp to 15 amp 240 Volt Adaptor


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 258
Date:
Ampfibian 10 amp to 15 amp 240 Volt Adaptor


Has anyone got and used one of these Ampfibian 10 amp to 15 amp 240 Volt Adaptor.

__________________

 

 

 

 

 

I CHANGE MY OPINIONS OFTEN
BUT NOT MY WAY OF THINKING

 



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:

Popeye wrote:

Has anyone got and used one of these Ampfibian 10 amp to 15 amp 240 Volt Adaptor.



Hi
 The replies should be interesting Since it is the ONLY LEGAL way to connect a 15amp inlet to a 10amp outlet smile

 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1467
Date:

I dont own one. But ive seen these Questions go pear shape on other forums. Cheers Daryl

__________________
D.L.Bishop


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 120
Date:

.. I have a 10 amp unit .. haven't seen a 10-15 amp version though .. Mine works fine even with aircon .. breaker cuts power if excess is used ..

__________________
Jon ..     "living & loving life"                  


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4001
Date:

No my God they are Ilegal

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4718
Date:

brickies wrote:

No my God they are Ilegal




Exactly what are you talking about?

__________________

PeterD
Nissan Navara D23 diesel auto, Spaceland pop-top
Retired radio and electronics technician.
NSW Central Coast.

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2531
Date:

I have yet to physically see one but I have heard good things about them,

there are other "legal" ways to connect 15 to ten!

__________________

"LOOK BUSY,..............GOD'S WATCHING"



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:

dave06 wrote:

I have yet to physically see one but I have heard good things about them,

there are other "legal" ways to connect 15 to ten!



Hi Dave
Perhaps you could enlighten us????

 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:

Jonathan wrote:

.. I have a 10 amp unit .. haven't seen a 10-15 amp version though .. Mine works fine even with aircon .. breaker cuts power if excess is used ..



 Hi Jon
 I think you may have the unit in question

,if it is factory made & fitted with 10a lug ,15a socket & 10amp o/l cb+RCD & has an AUSTRALIAN APPROVAL NUMBER on it



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2333
Date:

I think we have been through this before...

__________________
Don't take life too seriously.... No one gets out alive

KIA Sorento CRDi EX  ( Ebony black) with 5 hex chrome plated tire air valve covers, Coramal Sunsheild, Elcheapo GPS, First Aid Kit, full KIA toolkit & Yellow lenses on the Foglights......


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2531
Date:

oldtrack I will not be "enlightening" you, 240V is not my forte, I will not give advice on anything 240, or anything relating to 240

however it has been discussed ad nauseum just recently and a short stroll through the annals of previous posts will show you,

Basil placed a very good one showing how it can be done safely and I might add copped a bit of flack for his kindness

my Boss actually has one of these things that I seen in his shed a fair while ago. it looked like an R.C.D. and I think it was made by clipsal in Adelaide

the web is full of information about them, I will not give any directions to these although I have made a couple of them from there,

I will not guide the young players into what could be treacherous waters

__________________

"LOOK BUSY,..............GOD'S WATCHING"



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 258
Date:

Thanks for all your replies. I have ordered one from Cemac not cheep $240.00

__________________

 

 

 

 

 

I CHANGE MY OPINIONS OFTEN
BUT NOT MY WAY OF THINKING

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2531
Date:

let us know how you get on with it, I gleened from from a couple of mates that it is basically just a 10 amp rcd device that will not allow the circuit to draw more than the allotted ammount from the house

__________________

"LOOK BUSY,..............GOD'S WATCHING"



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:

Popeye wrote:

Thanks for all your replies. I have ordered one from Cemac not cheep $240.00



Hi Popeye 
You are getting the only APPROVED 10 to 15 amp[Amp-Fibian.]

The only brand available in Aus [FULLY approved[ The authorities even had to come up with a special approval number as no other ACCEPTABLE units are on the market




-- Edited by oldtrack123 on Tuesday 22nd of December 2009 02:49:27 PM

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:

dave06 wrote:

#1  oldtrack I will not be "enlightening" you, 240V is not my forte, I will not give advice on anything 240, or anything relating to 240

#2  however it has been discussed ad nauseum just recently and a short stroll through the annals of previous posts will show you,

#3  Basil placed a very good one showing how it can be done safely and I might add copped a bit of flack for his kindness

#4  my Boss actually has one of these things that I seen in his shed a fair while ago. it looked like an R.C.D. and I think it was made by clipsal in Adelaide

#5 the web is full of information about them, I will not give any directions to these although I have made a couple of them from there,

#6   I will not guide the young players into what could be treacherous waters



Hi Dave

I am not trying to be smart or put anyone down. But trying to correct wrong info

#1
I'm glad you pointed that out & will not give advise on anything 240V

I am an electrician & am qualified to tell people when they are getting incorrect advise.

#2 yes it has been discussed ad nauseum on this & other forums ,yet the incorrect advise continues to be given.
#3 
If  Basil's  advise is incorrect, even with good intention , should that not be pointed out for Basil's & others good? 
#4
Do you know exactly what your boss was using ,A safety unit Ie a rcd safety lead ?
For a start if it only had an RCD ,it is a different thing altogether.!!! & yes Clipsal did make Rcd units.
 But not 10<15 amp adapters
#5
The web is full of info which if not fully understood can be very dangerous. 
Again exactly what did you make up?, whatever it was it is illegal as you are  not qualified.
I should point out that if you or anyone using it has an elecrical accident you could be in serious trouble.It is not  a legal approved devise .

#6
I am glad of that

Re Bunnings & other hardware units

 As far as I am aware   none are 10a<15 amp adapters
They sell 10amp units with  RCD /10a olcb,10a plugs & sockets
.they sell 15a units with RCD ,    15a olcb,  15 amp plus & sockets.
As  far as I am aware  they do not sell a  devise with 10amp plug & 15amp socket ,similar to the Amp-Fibian
Modifing them in any way makes them   illegal .

I hope no none takes offence @ this post but I believe people should know when they are given wrong info,particularly if that info could lead to serious problems, legaly or    otherwise

Like everything in life one can follow the rules or not as long as they are aware of consequences it's up to them



-- Edited by oldtrack123 on Tuesday 22nd of December 2009 05:00:21 PM

-- Edited by oldtrack123 on Tuesday 22nd of December 2009 10:18:56 PM

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 817
Date:

Thank you, Oldtrack, for clearing that up.

__________________

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm any day.......




Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2531
Date:

well I'm glad you got that off your chest! only arguing with yourself though as I stated I nor anyone else here was giving advice! ...............................................................of any kind

I cant see any info that was lodged that could be deemed wrong but if you seen something that obviously annoyed you then go right ahead and "correct it"

I've seen them before a few times but I am not about to discuss them here for obvious reasons

clearing what up Rolly?????????????????? nobody said anything!!!!!!

__________________

"LOOK BUSY,..............GOD'S WATCHING"



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:

dave06 wrote:

well I'm glad you got that off your chest! only arguing with yourself though as I stated I nor anyone else here was giving advice! ...............................................................of any kind

I cant see any info that was lodged that could be deemed wrong but if you seen something that obviously annoyed you then go right ahead and "correct it"

I've seen them before a few times but I am not about to discuss them here for obvious reasons

clearing what up Rolly?????????????????? nobody said anything!!!!!!



Hi
Geee somebody has got their knickers in a knotno

Was my post offensive??Or showed any malice to anyone?

I simply stated FACTS. I cannot see the problem with that.!!!

Hi Rolly
 Thanks, Just ask You will only get FACTS from me, If it is only a well founded opinion I preface my comments with""" I Believe "" Or" I have found""



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2333
Date:

Basil is used to copping flack....Sometimes common sense can't be seen thru the legalities....

__________________
Don't take life too seriously.... No one gets out alive

KIA Sorento CRDi EX  ( Ebony black) with 5 hex chrome plated tire air valve covers, Coramal Sunsheild, Elcheapo GPS, First Aid Kit, full KIA toolkit & Yellow lenses on the Foglights......


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2531
Date:

well oldtrack my knickers are not in a knot but what I found to be very strange was the fact that you chose to "dotpoint" only my input even though I went to great pains to point out that I would be offering no advice

I stated that I didnt know what Jock had in his shed for power conversion, I said what it "looked like and where I thought it MAY have been made" nothing more and nothing less and yet you tore into that as well

wasnt me who pulled someone elses post apart for no obvious reason

you still went through and used my input to pull to pieces, even though it is stating nothing harmfull, I supplied no details about anything,

what I build in my shed for my use is my business alone, I will, as stated, be supplying no details about that, I dont even use the thing anymore but it was perfectly safe

I build a lot of things in my spare time, growing very thin at the moment, sheds, pool fencing, bendrs, lathes, chop saws, radial arm saws, bench saws, I have built 2 motorhomes and one slide on,

I have been involved in the construction of countless others all requiring electrical hookup which I duly get passed by a local inspector, I also do a lot of repairs for passing nomads, mechanical as well as electrical when time permits

I am a qualified builder (retired) who has employed a lot of sparkys over time, I have a lenghty background in mechanical engineering (not qualified but highly experienced) I have built a lot of mechanical and electrical devices over the years and am very cognisent in all things mechanical and electrical, safety is always uppermost, hence why no advice on 240 was given, I know my way around it as do a lot of others on this forum, but not all, so I dont give advice

however after your input I went and asked a few folks who own vans what they used when cooling down the fridge "pretrip"

the answers I found not surprising as it is the same as I do,

they have a short length of extension cord with 10 amp at one end and 15 amp at the other this is then connected in to a 10 amp house supply as usual

the caravanners forum also is full of folks who use this, whilst I dont condone this activity it is what goes on "out there" legal or not, it is the norm!

Basil!!!!, common sense and legalities dont even recognise each other!!

Popeye, just keep us up to date on your purchase, i think it is a good thing but a tad expensive!

__________________

"LOOK BUSY,..............GOD'S WATCHING"



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:

 Hi Dave
You seem to be taking this very personal .
'My apologies if that's how you see it. 
I believe my comments were all valid questions & .answers.
  But I would like to make this point all your suggestions indicated that there are other legal ways & if people searched they may find them.
stand by my initial comment ,there is no other legal way of connecting a 10amp 240v mains supply socket to a15A van inlet socket.
THAT is A fact whether you agree or not.

Now this does concern me :", I also do a lot of repairs for passing nomads, mechanical as well as electrical when time permits"

You may have a limited ticket which is required for simple jobs such as fitting a motor & lead & minor repairs as required for frigies & small appliance servicemen
However that is the limit to what such licenses allow

.It does not allow in work on any fixed wiring.
 
Because every one uses an illegal & potential  dangerous lead , even tho you say you do not condone it ,you then point out you use one yourself .Seems a bit of a double standard to me.

 I will continue to point out info which is not correct
.A little knowledge can be dangerous particularly if they THINK they know more than they actually do .
This is a general statement & not aimed @ anyone .
Again sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2531
Date:

oh! I'm not taking it personal, but you seem hell bent on continously shooting at me for reasons better known to yourself

I dont really care either way, I'm just telling you how it is out here, we help each other and go about our travels in the most economical way and it seems most of us do ilegal things including you, whether you agree with it or not it or admit to it even to yourself it will never stop

I have used various methods to fire up the camper "pre trip" and I repeat I would not recomend this to any one else, what I do is up to me, if it seems a double standard to you then so be it

however just a little "poking around" and I found this to be a very prevelant practice according to a few forums that I looked in just quickly

I do a lot of repairs for travellers and I would very quickly berate those that would not help out a fellow traveller, I do what is in my power to help and what is not within my knowledge or skills base then I "know people" who do know "things" that are willing to help

I just found it amusing that even though I recomended nothing I was still singled out for a serve!

I have been assured by an electrician of forty years experience that these things are easily constructed using off the shelf products and can be built at less than half the asking price quite legally

now all you other kiddies dont do what unca Dave does okay!! very naughty!!! if I find out you've been doing this I will have to smack your fingers! and confiscate your screwdriver




__________________

"LOOK BUSY,..............GOD'S WATCHING"

JRH


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2951
Date:

I have a short lead with a 10 amp male one end and a 15 amp female the other end, this is used to fire up the fridge prior to leaving on a trip. 

It is used soley for that purpose, not even the lights are used as I have a 12 volt system for that.  Now this may strictly be illegal but where is the harm when all due care and attention is taken, I am sure the fridge alone does not exceed the 10 amp circuit.


__________________
If I don't get there today, I'll get there tomorrow or the day after.

John & Irona..........Rockingham Western Australia


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 120
Date:

Oldtrack ..

The reference you made to the product I'm using was quite accurate .. and it is the the only ligitimate product available on the market ..

In the past I have also used alternative adaptors to suit and have never had a problem with them .. but now that a legal unit is available (although expensive) I've chosen to use it ..

I believe that if a question is asked about a particular product on the market that is currently available, lets just answer that question .. I don't recall anyone asking about any 'homebrew' versions  ..  that can be done in private ..

.. I don't believe the promotion of alternatives (if illegal) need to be aired on a public board like this one ..

__________________
Jon ..     "living & loving life"                  


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:

 Hi .Jonathon             
 Thanks for confirming thatwink 
Your views are similar to mine . smile
Direct or indirect advising of an illegal arrangement is not answering the .OP

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2531
Date:

look carefully at my original answer and see oldtracks response and see who took it off course, if I am to be judged then let the judgement be fair

I answered the original post correctly it was then taken into a land of something else!

I have promoted nothing ilegal, I have leaned toward nothing iliegal, there are alternatives out there that are made up quite legally just because you dont know about them doesnt mean they dont exist!

show me where I posted or recomended anything ilegal! stick with the facts! not your twisted version of them!

__________________

"LOOK BUSY,..............GOD'S WATCHING"



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1695
Date:

I'm with you JRH .......for once we agree :)

I have the same as you......only mine IS legal!! It is legal because the wire was legally bought. 3 core....no less. The ten and fifteen amp plug and socket were legally bought and an electrician made it up for me.

__________________
Daisy and Disco Duck

Adelaide South Australia


Gotta Think Outside the Square!

Now that food has replaced sex in my life, I can't even get into my own pants.

If at First You Don't Succeed.......Redefine Success !!


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:

dave06 wrote:

, there are alternatives out there that are made up quite legally just because you dont know about them doesnt mean they dont exist!


 Hi Dave
I was not going to bother to reply but you continue to make incorrect             statements like the above.
  
 Despite what your  electrician may have told you & it may be possible for some with the knowledge to make a copy
. However that copy will not be legal as it will not have been approved  ,& will not have the relevant approval number & will not be able to get approval for sale or use on 240v mains power in AUST

40yrs experience he's still a baby,I have over 50yrs active in many fields not just domestic am still involved with my son who is also an electricial foreman



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2531
Date:

well I'm finished, there is just no getting through to you is there, it simply must be your way or no way! so have a good life!

__________________

"LOOK BUSY,..............GOD'S WATCHING"



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Date:

Disco Duck wrote:

I'm with you JRH .......for once we agree :)

I have the same as you......only mine IS legal!! It is legal because the wire was legally bought. 3 core....no less. The ten and fifteen amp plug and socket were legally bought and an electrician made it up for me.



Hi
I know some are finding this hard to accept

/I do not see any mention of length ,size of cable,  RCD OR OVERLOAD CB AS such it is TOTALLY illegal no matter who made it up!!! & if found by an inspector would be cut up on the spot. Many electricians are not aware of the reqs/rules, SAD TO SAY. 



-- Edited by oldtrack123 on Wednesday 23rd of December 2009 04:11:08 PM

__________________
1 2 35  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook