check out our comfortable cushions check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Aliner Awning


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 195
Date:
Aliner Awning
 


For Aliner owners ,here are the Installation Instructions for you awning, Hans



Attachments
__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 789
Date:
 

G'Day Hans, which particular awning does the installation instructions refer to - it doesn't seem to be the one they come from the factory with.....can you supply details please.
Regards
Denis

__________________

Denis

Ex balloon chaser and mercury measurer.

Toowoomba.

Duh


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3241
Date:
 

The instructions sound about right, except the spreader bars only need to be attached if putting the annex walls on.  If only using the awning you don't need to attach the spreader bars, only the three vertical upright bars at the front of the awning.

With the three front vertical bars (adjustable poles) there was a trick to get the canvas straight, I think it was to do the two side ones first coming level off the van, then do the centre one so that the canvas went straight from the peak to the front centre upright pole.

I owned an Avan A'liner for 7 years and was also in an Avan Club, some Avans came with the factory awning (made by a local supplier to Avan I think) and others had theirs made by outside makers, but all had the same principle of attaching etc that I am aware of, having seen many at various A van rallies I attended. 

A variation to this was to attach the awning to the upper side only and attach the eyelet to the centre catch on the roof (canvas hanging down from this side only), then raise both sides of the roof and raising inside walls and then step on the van step to feed the rope and canvas through the other side and use a broom stick or awning pole to fold over the velcro.  Then attach ropes on either side to cleat on one side and something on the other, pulling roof taut.  (The reason for the variation method was it was very heavy to push the roof up with the canvas fitted to both side, whereas one side made it a lot easier to do so.)

Then fit the three front vertical bars (poles) as described in para 2...



-- Edited by Duh on Thursday 7th of March 2013 01:05:44 AM

__________________

Vic  - Mitsubishi Outlander and rear end tent....

 

 

 



 



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 195
Date:
 

Denis , the manufacturer is    " Austral Tent and Canvas Products ,Beverly SA ".

Hans



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 826
Date:
 

Duh wrote:

 If only using the awning you don't need to attach the spreader bars, only the three vertical upright bars at the front of the awning.


 Oh how the memory fades. Remember back when we did not have self suporting tents. We called those tent poles



__________________

PeterD
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto, Spaceland pop-top
Retired radio and electronics technician.
Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last long.

Duh


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3241
Date:
 

PeterD wrote:
Duh wrote:

 If only using the awning you don't need to attach the spreader bars, only the three vertical upright bars at the front of the awning.


 Oh how the memory fades. Remember back when we did not have self suporting tents. We called those tent poles


 Yes, they are the ones, I did call them poles in an earlier post, however did not call them tent poles as they are for an awning, not a tent.

You are right about the memory though.....



__________________

Vic  - Mitsubishi Outlander and rear end tent....

 

 

 



 

Duh


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3241
Date:
 

Was this info of any help Hans ????????????
Duh wrote:

The instructions sound about right, except the spreader bars only need to be attached if putting the annex walls on.  If only using the awning you don't need to attach the spreader bars, only the three vertical upright bars at the front of the awning.

With the three front vertical bars (adjustable poles) there was a trick to get the canvas straight, I think it was to do the two side ones first coming level off the van, then do the centre one so that the canvas went straight from the peak to the front centre upright pole.

I owned an Avan A'liner for 7 years and was also in an Avan Club, some Avans came with the factory awning (made by a local supplier to Avan I think) and others had theirs made by outside makers, but all had the same principle of attaching etc that I am aware of, having seen many at various A van rallies I attended. 

A variation to this was to attach the awning to the upper side only and attach the eyelet to the centre catch on the roof (canvas hanging down from this side only), then raise both sides of the roof and raising inside walls and then step on the van step to feed the rope and canvas through the other side and use a broom stick or awning pole to fold over the velcro.  Then attach ropes on either side to cleat on one side and something on the other, pulling roof taut.  (The reason for the variation method was it was very heavy to push the roof up with the canvas fitted to both side, whereas one side made it a lot easier to do so.)

Then fit the three front vertical bars (poles) as described in para 2...



-- Edited by Duh on Thursday 7th of March 2013 01:05:44 AM


 



__________________

Vic  - Mitsubishi Outlander and rear end tent....

 

 

 



 



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 195
Date:
 

Duh, yes it makes sence ,when I took the awning  down , I pulled the lower side out to the left ,unhooked the velcro and then let the roof down.There is no other way to get the roof down when the awning is up because you can not split the roof.

Cheers Hans.



__________________
Duh


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3241
Date:
 

When pulling it down, I used to use a broom handle or awning pole to push up (in the straight position) the little locking latch thing at the top, then put the pole underneath the awning to push the velcro off and the eyelet off the catch at the top, then the bigger side can be pulled down too while the roof is still in the up position.

Whatever is easiest for you is best. 

I only used my awning if in a place for more than a couple of days, the annex hardly ever, they get very hot inside and it is more interesting being able to sit outside and communicate with others under the awning.  In 7 years I only ever used my annex twice on long stops in foul weather.

I don't know what the Avan camper annexes are like now, but the early ones were fairly flimsy and not as wide as others made elsewhere, also they had the door on the annex on the wrong side, which deprived you of some living space inside because of the door, whereas other made ones put the annex door opposite the van door where it gave more room inside the annex. 

In WA, I had mine made by Kenlow, who had all the patterns and make a quality awning and annex, they also fitted the rope runners and studs etc.   I have also had an awning and annex made by Wilfords in WA on another Avan I had (on it when I bought it) they make a quality awning too and I believe they are a bit cheaper than Kenlow but can't vouch for that.

In retrospect, if I had another Avan camper without an awning and annex, I would only buy an awning, works out a bit cheaper and unless you are going to use an annex there is no point.  You can always buy the walls later if you decide you want an annex.

If I had an Avan camper today, I would either buy one with a Truma ducted airconditioner in it or have one fitted.  Avan fit these now as an option.   I would stick to cold air only, you can get the reverse cycle one but they are bigger and I would rather have a portable heater for cold areas.   Despite it's chimney effect and wind out windows if fitted (plus wind out hatches), like any caravan they can get quite hot on very hot days and I think as you get older you feel the heat more.

 

 

 



-- Edited by Duh on Friday 8th of March 2013 12:22:47 PM



-- Edited by Duh on Friday 8th of March 2013 12:24:20 PM

__________________

Vic  - Mitsubishi Outlander and rear end tent....

 

 

 



 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 789
Date:
 

Recoup wrote:

Denis , the manufacturer is    " Austral Tent and Canvas Products ,Beverly SA ".

Hans


 Thanks Hans



__________________

Denis

Ex balloon chaser and mercury measurer.

Toowoomba.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook